Re: [RFI] Can you identify this interference?

To: kr1st@amsat.org, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Can you identify this interference?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:47:58 -0500
At 07:57 AM 1/22/04 -0500, Alex wrote:
Hi there,

Since a few weeks I've been plagued with this pulsating type
interference. I can receive the it from 12 MHz up to into the high VHF
range. So far I've found one very wide peak around 19-20 MHz (S9). I can
even see it on TV channel two (antenna, no cable) where it appears as 4
or 5 squiggly lines. Here's a sound sample:

http://www.kr1st.com/interf.wav

And the image of the recording made by Audacity can be found at:

http://www.kr1st.com/interf.gif

The recording is made with the receiver on 28.4 MHz USB.

It looks and sounds to me like at least 2 electric fences at differing signal strengths and with their "tick" interval slightly different. Is that possible, given your QTH? A clean electric fence should not interfere, but often weeds grow into a fence, or insulation breaks down, or the box is not properly grounded. In all of these cases you get small arcs, and voila!

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm