Re: [RFI] Can you identify this interference?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Can you identify this interference?
From: "Mike A. King - KM0T" <scsueepe@mtcnet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:53:02 -0600
I did a little DFing during lunch today.  With my ICOM R10 handheld RX, the
signal peaked about 17.4 Mhz.   I suspected the transformer, cable boxes in
between my back yard and neighbors yard, however I always had also suspected
something from inside the neighbors house.

Well, with the IC-R10, the signal did not peak at the utiltiy boxes.
However, it did peak at the back end of my neighbors house.

Thank goodness shes a pretty nice old lady and works at the local gas
station down the street.

So, as mentioned before, I said this has been going on for 3 months or so, I
just never got around to it and suspected her house, so I never got bent out
of shape about it.

So at the gas station, we chatted and I asked her if she had added in the
last 3 or so months.....a scanner....no.....cable modem....no, any other
electronics, tvs, radios, clock radios, telephones...no....electric
blanket...no...BUT...oh in September I added an electric mattress pad for my
bed.  I asked is your bed at the end of the house by mine, yup.  Is the
thermostat like one of those that has the neat little orange neon lamp to
let you know its on...yup...

So, shes going to call tonight and "unplug" to verify as well as give me the
manufactures brand name, model, etc.

So, those of you on this reflector made me think to ask about electric
blanket / heating pads....I recall a story or two where I read here about
RFI from them.

Now, those of you in the know, what can I do about it?

Thanks and I will update for sure if this is the source.  Im 99.9% sure
however.

Alex, ask around.  Perhaps you will get a bite!

73

Mike- KM0T