Re: [RFI] Can you identify this interference?

To: "Mike A. King - KM0T" <scsueepe@mtcnet.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Can you identify this interference?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:05:02 -0500
At 02:53 PM 1/22/04 -0600, you wrote:
So, those of you on this reflector made me think to ask about electric
blanket / heating pads....I recall a story or two where I read here about
RFI from them.

Now, those of you in the know, what can I do about it?

Thanks and I will update for sure if this is the source.  Im 99.9% sure
however.

I bet you will discover there is more than one, because both the trace and the recording suggested two devices with slightly different periods. Still, once she turns it off you can tell. It's great that the source is close by rather than far away and VERY loud, and that she's willing to be helpful.

I would not advise tinkering with the control itself. Liability consequences are too severe. If you have a power strip with a built-in EMI filter, try temporarily giving that to her to plug the pad into and see what happens. Radio Shack sells an AC line filter unit for about $15 that they say has 30 dB attenuation through most of the HF and VHF spectrum. That might be good enough.

73, Pete N4ZR Check out the World HF Contest Station Database Updated 9 Jan 04 www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm