Re: [RFI] BPL Propaganda, ARRL Rebuttal on NPR's Morning Edition

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL Propaganda, ARRL Rebuttal on NPR's Morning Edition
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:13:23 +0000

>...Motorola appears to have a version of BPL that does "NOT" pollute the
>amateur spectrum.  Perhaps folks should get up to speed on this version
>of BPL and
>promote it as the solution to the current concern.  Energy well spent!

A few months ago there was a story circulating of the development of a
non-polluting BPL system that uses microwave frequencies instead of HF/VHF.
It used the power lines to act as sort of a wave guide that allowed the
microwave signals to travel along the surface of the wires, supposedly based
on already-proven technology.  Haven't heard much mention of it lately.

My take is that the Motorola system is essentially the same thing as the
"Home Plug" system already on the market.  The signal is sent into the home
from the transformer via the low voltage lines, using fibre cable or
wireless to bring the signal to the pole in front of the customer's house.
The HomePlug systems are known to cause local interference, although not as
widespread as BPL that sends raw data signals down unshielded MV power
lines.  If they can get the signal as far as the power pole in front of the
house via fibre cable, why not go one small step further and install a fibre
optic drop all the way to the individual house?

Don K4KYV