Re: [RFI] CHECK your grounds.

To: RFI RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CHECK your grounds.
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:15:57 -0500
On Jan 26, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 1/26/2011 12:29 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
>> I have taken photos of our electrical "grounds".
>
> You need to study the fundamental principles of AC power distribution. A
> GROUND conductor does NOT carry load current -- it's sole function is
> SAFETY.

I've always thought that way too many things are called "ground".

I think that the main message that I take from Kurt's post is that when we see
what he has seen, you can bet that there will be other problems. They need
fixed.

I recommend homeowners who can safely look at their wiring do so. I don't care
if it was a "qualified electrical technician" that did the install, or if it
was inspected and approved. I suppose I''m OC, but when I bought my place, I
replaced all the outlets. Not only got nice new tight outlets, but I got to
look inside at the wiring. Found a few outlets that were not so good on the
connections. A fire hazard and likely RF problem.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -