Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: "Dale J." <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:40:34 -0700
On 21 Mar 2014 at 11:25, Dale J. wrote:

> Ken if you have 20 db over noise then it's got to be very close to your
> antenna.

I have felt the same. However, finding it has been difficult. It is on 24/7
with,
very seldom, very short periods of complete silence.

>  If it's power line noise you should hear it on 10 meters

I do hear it on 10 meters, although it is not as bad.

> and to zero in get a
> air band receiver (its AM and vhf), zeroing in to a pole.

I've tried using an AM receiver which has a loopstick in it, but the noise is
so
overwhelmingly strong I cannot determine a direction.

>  If it is something
> else like a plasma TV those are more difficult to find and most likely you
> won't
> hear them on the VHF band.

OK. Thanks.

>  My next door plasma tears up 80 meters when they
> turn it on.  40 is also affected and to a less extent as I go up the bands.

As I said, so far, it completely tears up 80, is reduced somewhat on 40, even
a bit less on 20 (still S-7 to S-8) and "noisy" on 10.

It is more of a "hissing" than a discrete "buzz" although at times, and on AM,
it sounds like a radial aircraft engine running at a steady speed. I am also
hearing discrete "bunches" of noise about every 10 Khz up and down 80
meters.

Every once in a while, I am also hearing a very strong, very unstable RF
signal "drift" through the 80 meter band. It hits 30db over S-9 when it occurs.

Then there is the periodic "arcing", which also hits well over 30db over S-9
when it occurs.

What I want to do is to move out onto a mountain top at least 20 miles from
the nearest neighbor...but that won't happen.

> Good luck, I feel your pain

Thank you, Dale.

Ken W7EKB