Re: [RFI] FIOS vs DSL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] FIOS vs DSL
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 20:45:44 -0500
I''m in Charter country, and have 100Mbs cable which I've recently seen go as high as 190 Mbs, but typical is around 130 Mbs. In the past I've had ISDN, DSL, and dial-up. DSL back then was slow and REALLY expensive. I paid far more than double what I pay for the 100 Mbs cable, for a fraction of the speed. IIRC the speed was only a couple hundred Kbs. Fiber has the potential of being an order of magnitude, or more faster than cable.

The only downside to fiber would be the hardware on each end. I don't know what's available, but there should be RFI free hardware available. Do "they" provide it, or is it like cable and you purchase your own?

I've had as many as 5 computers on at once, using a Gbs network and no interference to or from the computer/network/cable. At present, I only have three computers, plus two servers, but I have another build almost ready to go.

My goal is to get both stations on the network so I can operate both from either position.

73, Roger (K8RI)