[TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:34:59 -0700
I took some data from my master oscillator.  I waited 3 minutes for
the oven to settle down before taking measurements.  I set the
trimmer cap to a reference frequency of 10.00001   and went from
there.  I used the Startek frequency counter with 10 Hz resolution.

Began at 20:30 and measured 10.00001
         20:40              10.00002
         20:50              10.00003
         21:20              10.00004
         21:58              10.00005
         22:22              10.00006

There are some points where I observed flutter where the freq counter
was transitioning, so these times are not really exact, and only give
10 Hz resolution.  However, there is a definite trend :-).  Would
you all say that this is not acceptable for the Ten Tec OMNI VI
master oscillator crystal oven?  Should I go out and fork over the
$50 for a new one?

I will check on my BFO next for good measure, it has been suggested
that problems can reside there also.  I will check the trimmers in
different modes for alignment, and watch some of them to see if they
move much.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Clark
WA3JPG