[TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI crystal oven stability
From: cyee@bidmc.harvard.edu (Conway Yee)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:10:53 EDT
You write on tentec mail reflector:
>I think your an amateur trying to do an engineers job! Before you make

I respond via private email:
>It occurs to me that there was little to no need to be so rough in
>your reply to the query.  It is no crime to be inexperienced.

You respond via the reflector:
>I gracefully accept your opinion.  What exactly did you find offending?

I did not find any of the FACTS you point out offending.  In fact,
I found them VERY useful and enlightening.  I had not considered your
points in thinking about the measurements and found the entire thread
very educational.  It may prevent my making a similar error in the
future.

I thought, however, that the TONE of the response a bit strong,
especially in the first line.  Such a tone tends to hinder
communication and puts the parties involved in a
confrontational/defensive mode.  Everyone makes mistakes.  I may
have worded your comments like: "Have you considered the stability
of your counter?" followed by the explanation vs. "I think you are
an amateur trying to do an engineer's job!" which clearly implies
that you believe that the original poster has absolutely no business
attempting activities that are in the domain of others.  Similarly,
parts of your explanation uses phrases associated with sarcasm (e.g.
"...and spend your $50 bucks, you want to play engineer.").  Remember,
USENET and email are fairly low bandwidth modes.  It is very easy to
misconstrue communications.

Incidentally, I am responding to your query via the reflector as you
posted your query on the reflector.  To the best of my knowledge, I
made my comments to you via private email.   This thread is getting
off topic and there was little to no need for the entire TenTec
list to read my comments but the context behind your query needs
clarification.  If I am incorrect in the course of events,
please accept my apologies; I am using a pretty idiotic mailer.

tnx es 73 de Conway Yee, N2JWQ