[TenTec] Omni VI plus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI plus
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E.)
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 11:36:12 -0500
The Omni V and VI could have that LSB for CW on all bands. I was just
interested in 10 and 20m (by the way the 1208 uses 20m for its IF, not
10m). The Corsair II listens for CW on 160, 80, and 40 on LSB that being
the normal sideband for voice and because of mixing schemes also on 17
or 12. The Corsair II's choice of sidebands for each band and for CW is
based on mixing schemes typical for a radio with 9 MHz IF that caused
the use of LSB voice on the 160 through 40 that's traditional in ham
radio.

The Omni V and VI should be programmable to choose more appropriate CW
modes as I see it, but I won't have one of either unless that mode is
possible. It may be a fetish but I'm tired of the frequency shifts of my
Yaesu multimodes and when I build up a better station with TenTec at the
IF and transverters, I want the station to be MORE convenient to use and
more effective in working weak signals. State of the art receiving to my
tastes includes mode versatility without operator confusion as well as
copying very weak signals (10 db or so below the noise level) along side
monstrous signals that would block Yaesu multimodes.

Mixing CW and SSB is less prevalent on 6m than on 2m and up where its
common.

73, Jerry, K0CQ