[TenTec] Pegasus Software/PcPakRatt Version 1.0/NT 4.0 Performance

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Software/PcPakRatt Version 1.0/NT 4.0 Performance
From: heimbachk@mindspring.com (Karl Heimbach)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 07:26:59 -0500
Gang,

Is anyone else running the above combination?  I've observed some rather
bizarre occurrences with the Pegasus software since installing PcPakRatt.

I 've been running the Pegasus software on an AMD 450 MHz chip under NT
Workstation 4.0, Service Pack 5, for a couple of weeks without incident.
After installing the AEA software and connecting a PK-232MBX to second com
port, I've had difficulty with both pieces of interface software.
Incidentally, once both programs were installed, some of the below problems
occur without running both applications simultaneously.

 Specifically:

Pegasus Version 1.56

a)    Program runs slower in general.
b)    Virtual tuning knob is slow to respond to the mouse.
c)    On one occasion, no communications could be established between the PC
and the transceiver.  Reinstalled the software three different times,
checked registry, etc. without any improvement.  Finally had to reflash the
Pegasus firmware to get everything working again.
d)    Frequencies stuffed into memories are sometimes forgotten.

PcPakRatt Version 1.0

a)    Program runs slower.
b)    PC loses communications with the PK-232MBX.
c)    Delays in PACTOR function keys (haven't tried any of the other
modules).
d)    Intermittent transmit.

There is an obvious interference between the com ports and suspect that
PcPakRatt is the offender.  What is strange, however, is that once PcPakRatt
was installed, the Pegasus problems sometimes occur even with the PK-232MBX
disconnected from the computer and PcPakRatt removed from the system.
(Suspect that PcPakRatt does not clean up after itself when uninstalled!)

Karl - W5QJ