[TenTec] d-104 and omni V

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] d-104 and omni V
From: wa4tt@nlamerica.com (John Vickers)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:46:18 -0500
Sherrill W. wrote:

>The old D-104's that were made before the CB fad (1950's and early '60's)
were not the amplified type and if my memory serves me
>they had crystal elements for use with vacuum tube A. M. speech amplifiers
and modulators.

Hi Sherrill
Thats right--- but they are still making the crystal D 104. One problem is
that if you buy the mic at a swapfest or yard sale --- they may have a bad
element and then no matter what you do it won't sound good.  The good news
is you can get the replacement element easy enough-- along with Heil,
Tentec, or even Radio Shack elements.

I have 1 that I bought new in 1958 and its never had the element replaced.
Presently use it on my Omni- 6  on the rare occasions I work phone. All
reports are A-OK.

The amplified mics, rigs with processing, and all the other bells &
whistles, are disastrous in the hands of some Op's these days. They think
that just because it has a knob on it you have to turn it to the right and
yell.

The FCC should require that for 1st yr,-- hams can only SWL-- 2nd yr only
work CW-- then for next 2 yrs only use a rig that has a VFO knob-- by their
5th yr they should have learned enough to start using a mic gain and
processor  !!!   Guess I'll just dream on. Hi        73, John WA4TT