[TenTec] d-104 and omni V

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] d-104 and omni V
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:44:02 -0500
At 08:01 AM 03/20/2000 -0800, Carl Hyde wrote:

>The D-104 mics are made for CB radios. They have a low
>frequency roll-off from about 1 KHz on down. They also
>boost higher frequencies. In other words they suck!!!
>But if you insist on using one there is a company that
>for $125.00 will make a D-104 sound like a real ham
>radio microphone. Or you can remove that nasty old
>Astatic element and put a Ten Tec element inside and
>wire it apropriately.  (For some reason people like
>the looks of a D-104) Otherwise get a Ten Tec mic for
>your Ten Tec rig. I've tried every conceivable mic and
>find the TTs are still the best.

Carl:

Your version of history is amusing.   The Astatic D-104 had it's beginnings
around 1934 as a microphone for voice radio communications.  AM was the
basic mode then.  There was no CB (as we know it) until 1958, when, of
course, the CB crowd did adopt it for their use and it was a good choice.

However, it should be remembered that, while Astatic did enjoy sales to and
promotion of the D-104 to the CB crowd, (for good economic reasons) it was
not "made" for them,  it was made for US.

w8au