[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Antenna Tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Antenna Tuners
From: ditzian@alltel.net (Jan Ditzian)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:33:06 -0500
Sherrill,

I want to try what you have suggested, but I want to make sure that I
understand what to do.

I have Model 229 (manual) and Model 253 (automatic) tuners and 450 ohm
windowpane line coming into the house from an 80-meter dipole 700 feet
away.  I installed this feedline by terminating the windowpane line in a
1:1 Amidon balun outside the shack, and then coming into the shack with
about ten feet of RG-8 or 213 (I
cannot remember which).  Now that I have lived with this for a while, I
realize that the windowpane line could come directly into the house,
because the antenna cable entrance is simply a PVC L connector through
the wall of the house.  (I use a sophisticated temperature insulation
barrier made of old sweat socks stuffed into the L connector, coupled
with using the amplifier in cold weather to maintain the hamshack
temperature;  I washed
the socks).

Now, if I were to put the Amidon 1:1 balun between the tuner and the
amp, how would I do it?  Here are the specific questions:

   * Where does the balanced windowpane line connect; to the unbalanced
     coax antenna connector of the      tuner?
   * Where does the balanced side of the balun connect; to the
     unbalanced connector of the tuner meant to go to the amp or radio?
     This would mean that the unbalanced side of the balun goes to the
     radio.
   * I am pretty sure that you are not recommending that I use the
     balanced antenna connection on the tuners,  since this is simply
     another balun.

Clearly there are connector mismatches, but I really don't care about
that, as long as the electrical approach is correct.

I also realize that I may get more RF than I want in the hamshack, and
that may cause me to rethink the project.

Thanks and 73,
Jan, KX2A