[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Antenna Tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Antenna Tuners
From: cherry@neta.com (Jim FitzSimons)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:32:36 -0700
Jan, in the book Transmission Line Transformers
by Jerry Sekick, W2FMI
second editon published by ARRL
there is the best solution to connecting 450 ohm
balanced line to 50 Ohm coax.
On page 9-33 section 9.5.3 Rhombic Antennas there
is a compound balun for matching 50 coax (unbalanced)
to 600 Ohm balanced line. It will work over a range
of 500 to 700 Ohms. It should work OK at 450 Ohms.
If you modify the position of the tap on the input
transformer it would be exactly 450 Ohms. The bandwidth
of this balun is 7 Mhz to 30 Mhz. It is usable from
1.8 Mhz to 54 Mhz.
I assume your nominal impedance varies above and below
450 Ohms. This transformer would change those variations
down to near 50 Ohms where a standard tuner would work.
It would seem sombody should sell this balun already
assembled.
Best regards, Jim FitzSimons W7ANF