[TenTec] my omni 6+ problem - need ur advice

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] my omni 6+ problem - need ur advice
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:46:53 -0500

> CORRECTION, guys!  I talked to Paul again and it looks as tho there ARE
> relays in the Omni 6+.  Just not a TR relay.  the relays r band specific
> and so far every band i can work has the problem.  but i'm trying to c now
> if it was my antenna switch.  this can drive ya NUTS!

Don't discount the coax connectors on the feedlines connecting to the
antenna switch, either.

I had a situation with one of my old A3 triband beams where, when operating
QRP, SWR would rise to over 3:1.  If I hammered it with 100 watts for a
couple of dits, it was good for another day or so.  In refurbishing the
antenna and replacing the 3-year-old lightning damaged element segment (3/8"
burned hole in the aluminum), I found a very bad connection where a trap
coil lead is screwed down and attached to the inner element segment.  I
cleaned the pertinent areas of the coil lead, element segment, and screw and
reset and sealed the joint.  It's been working like a charm since; in fact,
working better than the A3S I bought sometime later as antenna #2.

So, check everything in between the switch and your radio: coax jumpers,
SWR/Wattmeter, tuner, etc.

73,

dale, kg5u