[TenTec] my omni 6+ problem - need ur advice

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] my omni 6+ problem - need ur advice
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:13:53 -1000
> I talked to Ten Tec and Paul Clinton of their service dept
> says the Omni 6+ has NO RELAYS in it!  Is that true?  i
> thought my problem may be a TR relay in the rig.

Look in your Omni VI+ manual,  page 4-3.  If that relay, K1
right in the middle of that diagram,  which is switching the
Antenna connector,  at the top left of the diagram,  to
the "RX INPUT"  middle diagram,  left side,  is not a T/R
relay,  would sure like to know that the TT folks believe
it to be!!

Further,  the text discussion about this circuit board,
page 4-2, at the top of the right hand column of text
reads, "On receive,  K1 is open......  And further down
that same column of text,  last paragraph begins,
" During transmit,  relay K1 is closed,......."

If that relay tends to be a bit "sticky", that is not fully
open on rcv,  part of the input signal from the antenna
is not going to go to the rcvr input;  but rather get lost,
or shunted off into all that low pass xmit filter stuff on
the right side of the diagram,  not good!

On transmit,  or PTT push down,  that relay gets a hard
"close" command,  shorting the antenna to the transmit
output circuitry, and presumably the diodes in series
with the rcvr input are biased off.  On key up,  or PTT off,
that relay should full open.

May not be your problem spot,  but that is, for sure,  what
I would call a T/R relay,  hi.

Sure is behaving as a T/R relay anyway,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
Very pleased Omni VI+ user.