[TenTec] TT Scout on batteries?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT Scout on batteries?
From: N4NT@chartertn.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 17:25:04 -0500
Hi Tracy--

The manual specifies power requirements for the Argosy II (model 525D) as
12-14 Vdc regulated to 5% or better, 500 mA receive, 9A maximum transmit.

I have used one down to 11.5 Vdc but have not tried any lower voltage.  As
far as current drain, there is a front panel button which will turn off the
digital display section.  That same switch has a spare set of contacts so
you could run the meter lamp through the switch and really reduce your
current.  When you are using the rig with the display switched off, you
still have the benefit of 1 kHz dial calibrations on the dial skirt.  There
is a rear panel switch which switches the rig from 50 watts to 5 watts
output.  You could operate the Argosy for a long time with a small storage
battery.

If you get one, be sure it comes with the audio CW filter.  The 8-pole SSB
filter (model 220) in place of the standard 4-pole is most worthwhile,
whether you work CW or SSB.  Mine has the crystal CW filter, too, but I
never use it even though I only work CW.  So far I have not found that the
noise blanker does anything, but then again I'm not plagued by noise.

I've seen well equipped Argosy II rigs sell for between $350 and $550.  I
suppose it is whatever the market will bear.

Regards, Mike N4NT@chartertn.net