[TenTec] microphones and ten tec gear

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] microphones and ten tec gear
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 09:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 12 May 2001, mike bryce wrote:

> I've always been a CW op and rarely use  SSB. When I do, I get reports of
> "bassy' audio. I've tried D-104, Sure 444D and a handful of others.

I bet your carrier set points are not adjusted correctly.  The D-104
should NEVER give "bassy" audio (unless you've modified it!)  Your carrier
setpoint could be set way up the filter curve and that would cut off highs
and only pass lows, so the mike would not have much to do with it.  The
D-104 usually gets good reports, as does the Ten Tec mike (a few more lows
from the Ten Tec 705).  Oh, and I think the Corsair manual may be
incorrect in its carrier setpoint procedure, so proceed with care.  I know
the Argosy procedure was wrong and it got carried over to another manual
as far as I recall.  Check with Ten Tec if you want to do the adjustment.

Or, come to my shack (between LA and SF on the coast!) and try my mikes to
see which one you like best!  Hope to see you, Mike :-)

Clark
WA3JPG