[TenTec] IF gain pot

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] IF gain pot
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:12:57 -0700 (PDT)
Keep in mind that by tweaking the IF gain upward you
will most likely be degrading the overall dynamic
range of the Pegasus some. So I wouldn't just crank it
up Willie-nilly, if you do so - just be prepared for
the potential of some negative side effects.

I have noticed that the "from factory" setting is
always just slightly beyond the "knee" of where the
background noise just drops off. Which also appears to
be the same point where the AGC action of the DSP
circuitry is wide open (full gain). When you advanced
it for more background noise (higher IF gain) the
DSP?s AGC is having to work whether there is a signal
present or not.

I have also found that advancing it ever so slightly I
can make the extremely low level spur (now very low
with firmware 1.19) all but disappear completely. I
believe this is due to the AGC action of the DSP
hardware/firmware kicking in. This is consistent with
my observation that those low-level spurs would always
immediately disappear as soon as there was any signal
(or band noise) in the passband.

Duane
N9DG