[TenTec] Jupiter Audio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Audio
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 07:10:50 -0600
Although my experience with my new PRO2 is limited to a few weeks, its
front-end performance compared with the original PRO has been greatly
improved. I cannot recall ever having to use attenuation with the PRO
although I normally used Preamp 1 most of the time. With the PRO2, I
have yet to use the Preamp or attenuator. The PRO2 front-end is really
that much better than that of the PRO. My experience with the original
PRO dates back to September 2000.

I can copy an S2 CW signal less than 100 Hz from an S9+30 dB signal
using a 100 Hz filter setting. There is no evidence of desensing or
cross-modulation from strong signals on the band. I think that Icom
has figured out how to make near bullet-proof front-ends and with
their licensing of the Rohde and Schwartz front-end technology, things
can only get better.

I agree with the original comment that a 2002 radio should not require
manual attenuation to prevent overloading, and my experience is that
the PRO series does not. On the other hand, the Jupiter is a
considerably less expensive radio and should not be expected to have
the front-end performance of more expensive receivers. Only the
Elecraft K2 seems to be able to pull that off! <:}

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
K2 #489  IC-765 #2349 IC-756 PRO  #2121 IC-756 PRO2 #3235