[TenTec] Precision in Frequency displays

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Precision in Frequency displays
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Tue Mar 4 21:35:37 2003
I'd like to throw my opinion in on this as well, but first a little
background on me:  I am a ham, but the time I spend in HF is spent
listening.  I primarily listen to utility/military stations, but I
do listen to international broadcasters as well.

Up until recently, my "best" receiver was an ICOM R-8500.  Unlike many
radios, it isn't all that complex, but gets the fundamentals right --
things like having a bulletproof front end, for example.

One of the other things ICOM got right with it was the accurate calibration
of the PLL oscillator.  While it only has 10 Hz precision, checking against
WWV at 15 MHz showed no -- NO -- difference in tone when listening in AM,
USB or LSB.  This is important with the '8500, because its AM filters are
too wide and have a poor shape factor.

...and I *can* tell the difference, and when the tuning is off, even by
only a couple Hz, it gives me a headache in a hurry.  (And I'm not young,
unless you consider 40 young...)

Naturally, over time the 8500 has drifted off.  However, I don't expect
that to be a problem with my new receiver, the T-T RX-340, since I also
sprung for a surplus HP Z3801A GPS frequency standard.

While the RX-340 is not likely to be used predominantly as a int'l
broadcast receiver, it's good to have a very stable, traceable frequency
standard on it, making SSB reception a pleasure.  (Oh, yes, for the
transmitters that aren't on-the-money, the 1 Hz tuning steps help, too.
But that's not everything:  My ICOM R-75 also has 1 Hz tuning steps:
great precision, very poor accuracy.)

Just $0.02 from the peanut gallery,

73 de KB0YDN, Eric