[TenTec] Precision in Frequency displays

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Precision in Frequency displays
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Wed Mar 5 09:39:18 2003

>        If the errorenous idea exists that frequency accuracy is perceived as
> the solution to selective fading problems while receiving AM in SSB mode,
> then one must realize that no amount of dial frequency accuracy will help AM,
> SW or otherwise, overcome phase shift phenomena caused by ionospheric
> reflections when trying to listen to sidebands while using SSB mode.
> Synchronous detection utilizing exalted carrier is the best one can hope for
> to improve this mode.

No, but ECSS, as using SSB to receive AM signals is called, is
sometimes your only option when you don't have a true synchronous
AM -- one that phase-locks with the carrier -- available.

Also, many implementations of SAM break lock very easily, including
the RX-340.  The latest firmware is supposed to be an improvement;
I shudder to think how bad the earlier versions were, because this
version still breaks lock quite easily.

Sony, of all companies, seems to be the only one that has SAM completely
figured out, although there are a lot of others that do well, too.

--
Eric F. Richards
efricha@dimensional.com