[TenTec] Precision in Frequency displays

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Precision in Frequency displays
From: ken.d.brown@verizon.net (Ken Brown)
Date: Tue Mar 4 23:35:56 2003
Hi all,

My fourty something year old ears (which are better than my memory of
how old I am) can definitely tell the difference between a 10 Hz beat
and a 1 Hz beat. Does it matter? Probably not for CW or SSB. However
when keeping the BFO on to improve the reception of a AM (either MW or
SW) signal with selective fading it really does make a difference. I can
tell the difference between 1 Hz and half a Hz. So in that situation,
yes it matters. ..It should also be noted that Precision, Accuracy and
Resolution are related, but are NOT the same things. A zero after the
last changeable digit implies a precision greater than the resolution,
and says nothing about the accuracy.

Ken N6KB