[TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed May 21 15:00:33 2003
At 10:02 AM 5/21/03 -0400, you wrote:
>         Has anyone ever done anything like this?  Is it even
>necessary or is there enough residual energy in the PS
>filter caps that brief interruptions (typically <10 sec) are not
>a problem?  I  don't really want to buy a UPS large enough
>to power Orion but is there a simpler solution?

I wonder... I think you'd want to be careful about using just any battery,
because of possible emission of hydrogen and/or other hazards.

As for the cost of a UPS, I've never had a good answer to this, but have a
hunch that the rated capacity of the UPS reflects not the maximum power it
can deliver while in line-powered mode, but the length of time that the UPS
can deliver its rated power from its battery (for shut-down).  Even if the
power supply were only 50 percent efficient, it would only draw 750 watts
at 25 amps, so if this is correct a relatively small and cheap UPS is all
that would be required.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 9 May 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm