[TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Wed May 21 16:28:52 2003
I had some of the same concerns when I wanted to ensure my shack could stay
up and running even if the power went away.

Samlux sells a device that is probably meant for the cellular phone industry
that works great in this application.  It is a combination of diodes and
resistors that ensures your battery stays charged, protects your power
supply so the battery doesn't destroy it if the power goes away (most power
supplies aren't protected from 12v high amperage DC current on their DC
output connectors if they are powered off), and instantaneously (no
solid-state delay at all) powers your equipment if the power supply falls
below the battery voltage.  I use a 40 AH gel cell as the battery.  Even
better would be to buy one or two of the 100 AH+ batteries meant for solar
power backup.

The schematic for this is also on the net... look for Samlux and you should
find it.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1
Alinco DR-605TQ
Icom T90A

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net