[TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup
From: tjednacz@ieee.org (Thomas Jednacz)
Date: Wed May 21 16:01:00 2003

I have an Astron 35 amp supply also. It will ride thru short
(1 or 2 second) outages but not 10 seconds. Turn off Orion and
then the start up time is approx 10 seconds.

The battery idea is a good one. I have used this with a good
battery charger but not with the Astron. You need to take a look
at the control circuitry to be sure it will work. In principle it
should work but you need to be concerned about over charging the
battery. Also, if it is a regular lead acid battery it will give
off Hydrogen and if you have a spark in the shack - BAM! Be careful.

I have a friend who uses very large marine deep cycle battery with
an appropriate battery charger to run his 400 watt solid state amp
and the configuration works well. This way, the battery charger does
not have to carry the full load of the transceiver only the
amount to recharge over a longer period of time.

73, Tom, W7QF