[TenTec] Pegasus TX problem redeux

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus TX problem redeux
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Thu May 22 00:28:03 2003
--- Jeff Griffin <kb2m@comcast.net> wrote:
>   I'm having a strange problem with my Peg. I
> noticed that it wouldn't transmit on 17 to 10
> meters, even though the red tx light was on, but no
> RF. 160 to 20 meters transmitted FB.

Can you tell if the low pass filter relays are
clicking like they should be when you go to those
bands that do not work?

 I was testing
> this morning to see if the Peg was pulling current
> even though it wasn't putting out RF. I set the
> power out to 20 watts or so I found that it is
> pulling 18 amps or so,but not putting out any RF on
> the bad band's.

There is no way it should draw 18 amps when set for 20
watts output, - unless perhaps there is a real bad SWR
situation. If the low pass filters are not switching
in properly this could account for both the high
current draw and no output.

 On the good band's it is putting out
> 20 watts or so into a dummy load and pulling about 7
> amps. All with a carrier mode. I was surprised to
> note that for a time  the problem existed only on 12
> and 10 meters! 17 and 15 meters were  working. A few
> week's ago it started working on all band's, then
> went back to 160 to 20 meters. Does anyone have a
> clue as to what might be going on?

This would be consistent with a low pass filter
switching problem, 10 & 12 meters use the same low
pass filter and 15 & 17 meters share another. Since
these bands are paired you will not hear any relay
switching between 10 and 12 meters or when switching
between 15 and 17 meters.

 What I'm looking
> for is a single point of failure in the 10m to 17m
> area of the band pass filter, but then I remember
> that it also worked for a short time on 10/12m AND
> 160/20m! I'm having trouble reading the schematics
> as I don't have a very clear copy of them.  Now it
> is transmitting on 160 to 20 meters again. I just
> took it apart and looked for cold solder joint's,
> didn't find any.  Thanks in advance, for any useful
> suggestion's.

>From what your describing I don't think it will be a
"single point" of failure but I think your on the
right track. If you haven't already you may also want
to take a close look at the pin/header connection/area
from the main board to the low pass filter board.

Duane
N9DG