[TenTec] Orion Frequency Accuracy

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Frequency Accuracy
From: ewell2@cvc.net (Mail)
Date: Fri May 23 12:29:21 2003
Hi Earl:

        In reference to adjusting TCXO oscillators, within 20 Hz to 30Hz is
not
really too bad.  Most of us in the field do not have equipment accurate
enough
to adjust TCXO oscillators.  The environments of temperature, altitude, and
age of the oscillator has a lot of things to do with accuracy.
   Most TCXO oscillators are designed with known aging parameters, in that
as the crystal ages it will move up in frequency.  This change in frequency
may
be rapid the first year, then it will settle down and not move much after
that.
   The crystal will have a known aging parameter and in about a year you
will
find that the oscillator will be closer to being right on.  The oscillator
will not
move much after it ages in as they say.
    I would recommend that not too many adjustments be made to this
oscillator
until it has some time on it.  As long as it moves closer to being right on,
if it goes
the other way you will want to adjust on the side that moves closer to being
on
frequency.  If the oscillator moves up as it ages and goes past the
frequency, you
would adjust a bit below the desired frequency.  After the crystal has aged,
perhaps two years, you will not have to adjust it much at all.
   So a good thought with new equipment is to let the TCXO age some and then
look at it.  Thirty Hz is real close any way.
    I grind FT 243 crystals, and I have messed up some TCXO oscillators
playing
with them, so be gentle, the TCXO is an expensive oscillator.

   Great procedure to setting the oscillator, I have an old Kenwood TS440S
and it
has a reference oscillator, however it is not a TCXO, and I have to check it
each
year, it does move with age some and is not real stable.  I wish I had a
TCXO for
the radio but they only have that option for the TS450S.

Ed  73  K7DXV ewell2@cvc.net