Re: [TenTec] LOOKING FOR AMERITRON QSK 5 UNIT INFO

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] LOOKING FOR AMERITRON QSK 5 UNIT INFO
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:10:58 -1000
> Hi-Some months back, someone had a QSK 5 Ameritron qsk
> unit.

Yes, I have one,  on the shelf now.  Why?  The open frame
relays are very difficult to clean,  the contacts that is.
The result:  in very short amount of time the thing goes "deaf"!

As far as QSK,  it works fine,  but pretty soon,  you can't hear
any signals when it is "in line".

If they would replace the open frame relays with something
sealed,  would be a much more reliable unit.  If you look at
the circuit, you see that the PIN diodes do all the switching
when the unit is "engaged";  except,  that the incoming
signal must pass through those open frame relay contacts which
just do not carry enough current, nor are operated with
enough frequency to self clean.  And,  where the incoming
signal contacts are located --- essentially impossible
to reach to clean.

Now this is all about the stand alone QSK-5 unit,  not the
ones "built in" to the Ameritron amplifiers.

Any others have the same experience (I know they have,  hi).
And hope they also speak up about this.

73,  Jim  KH7M