RE: [TenTec] MAJOR dead Orion problem with update

To: "'Jeffrey Griffin'" <kb2m@arrl.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] MAJOR dead Orion problem with update
From: "Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:14:55 -0400
Jeff,

The exact same thing happened to me, but I found a way to recover.

Before you send the radio back, try this:

1. Turn off the radio.
2. Hold down the VFO-B LCK button (new command to clear RAM).
3. Turn on the radio.

If you still don't have screen display, try a master reset, but this time
make sure you clear the user settings and the filter settings. If you still
get a blank screen, reload the firmware and do a master reset (again, clear
the user memories and the filter settings.) Hopefully you will be back in
business, but you will have to set all your parameters and save them again.

I think this problem occurs because Ten Tec made changes that affect the
format of data stored in the user memories. By not clearing the user
memories, the old format was preserved. The new firmware expects the data to
be in the new format, but when the user memories with the old format are
recalled the firmware barfs and seems to trash memory (RAM) in some
unrecoverable way. It's so bad that reloading the firmware doesn't fix the
problem and even backing up to an older version doesn't fix the problem.

One minor clue about this is that the read me file says to do a "full master
reset". Perhaps "full" means one should clear the user memories?

I happened to notice the new "Clear RAM" command in the revision history for
this version. Not sure why it's in there -- maybe for this very reason.

By the way, I don't know if clearing the filter settings is necessary, but
it's not a bad idea.

73, Dick WC1M