Re: [TenTec] Orion in contests

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion in contests
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:48:04 +0000
Well, since George has brought it up, both beauty and performance are matters
of personal taste. If your rig suits you, I'm glad for you. But!

I have one of the first run Orion's. Which was big enough to call for a
complete shack remodeling. I had no more than got enough stuff moved around
enough to get back to two operating positions when a couple of local hams
brought their "world beater" rigs over to "prove" the superiority of their
favorites. And, by prearrangement, they met a friend with a KW (input) mobile
rig to provide a really strong signal to disprove claims about a "crunch proof
front end."

After a really LOOONG afternoon of swapping the PROII for the MARK V, and back
and forth and around and around - the bottom line is this. The Orion has by far
the best reciever of the three. We could copy and work (aided by an Alpha 87A
and a 4L quad) stations the other two could not make copyable. And when the
mobile fired up 10 kHz below our listening frequency and within 30 feet of the
base of the tower, the other rigs were wiped out - but the Orion didn't miss a
beat. The only way we could tell he was there was some phase noise from his
transmitter. Even on an S0 DX station.

Yes, the original Orion manual was obviously a hasty job of work, and the
firmware initially had some rough edges. Many of the firmware issues were not
performance problems, but were the "I don't do it that way and I don't know why
anyone would want to do it that way" type. And Ten Tec promptly started
addressing the complaints. As witness a complete rewrite of the manual and
numerous firmware upgrades.

If there are any bugs or teething problems left I don't know about them. Right
now, with the latest version of the firmware the Orion is as civilized a
tranciever as I have ever had the pleasure of operating. Everything on it does
what I expect it to do, and it does it extremely well. Whether that's pulling a
new one out from under a pileup or saying howdy to the local ragchewers - both
CW and SSB have gotten nothing but compliments from everyone I have let operate
my rig. And that includes a "great sounding rig" comment from a local who has
never heard a rig other than his favorite brand with acceptable audio.

Frankly, I would be perfectly happy with my Orion if they never issued another
firmware upgrade. So satisfied that as soon as the shack rebuilding is complete
I'm going to replace an Omni VI+ with a second Orion. And probably a third for
the farm sometime in the near future.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E