Re: [TenTec] Orion in contests

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion in contests
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:40:08 +0000
Well, I can tell Rob does not know too many hard core contesters. The thought
of five FT1000D's, with their transmitter phase noise, key clicks, and other
assorted artifacts, operating from one site with antennas in close proximity is
something to give even the toughest pause. Or even three 'D's at the same site,
for that matter.

My three Omni VI's went for several years without the Dunestars I eventually
added to each operating position. As long as we stayed off the same end of the
same band we had few problems. The filters didn't help that situation with the
Omni's - but a few of the guys insisted on bringing their latest "world
beater."  As soon as they fired up it became hash city. You could always tell
when someone used their own rig because the other ops would start hollering for
them to "turn on the filters!"

Of course, my best guess about the Orion's artifacts comes from my
through-the-block neighbor who is quite pleased with the lack of artifacts from
the Orion. And I'm very pleased I can't hear him unless we are both trying to
work the same DX station. THEN I CAN!!!  So that makes two of us pleased with
one radio.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E