Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:18:20 -1000
Mark Erbaugh wrote:

The amp situation is a shame because I currently have an SDR-1000 radio with
under 1 watt output. I would really like to buy an amp that would take the
power output to the 20+ watt level, but I'm going to have to jump through
hoops to do so. I don't have the skill or desire to homebrew one without
some sort of kit.

Hi Mark,

If you search eBay in the Ham Radio Amplifiers catagory you will find plenty of amplifiers for sale that were clearly built to be used on 11 meters by unlicensed and lawless "CB" operators. Since these guys do not abide by FCC part 95, and typically don't even stay inside the frequency limits of the CB service channels, I wonder why they are even called CBers. Anyway, these amplifiers all seem to have monikers that must appeal to people who feel inadequate in some way, and having one of these amplifiers makes them feel more masculine or something. Most of them do not use transistors, but rather a device called a pill. The more pills the better. The pills have part numbers just like RF power transistors. I have often wondered if any of these things would actually be a good starting point for a medium power HF amplifier that could be driven by a QRP rig. I suspect not, but then at least you would get a heat sink and some pills. If someone were to modify one of these for use as a ham band amplifier, I'm sure at the bare minimum a bandpass filter for each amateur band of operation would have to be added.

Ken N6KB