Re: [TenTec] Equipment reviews.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Equipment reviews.
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:47:21 +0000
Well, it's been an interesting thread. Big smoke, small fire! It's amazing how
much heat even a highly favorable report can generate.

I suspect it would take a well funded, completely independent, no advertising
magazine, with a well equipped lab, staffed by enthusiastic contesters and
DXers, to do rig tests the way rig tests should be done. The ARRL tests are OK
- but they are like most of the auto and gun magazine tests. The testers
preferences and prejudices appear to color the results.

The only magazine tests of any product that will substantially affect my
personal buying decisions are done by Gun Test Magazine - because they are in
the business of testing a product and do a good job of it. Even there, some of
the reports are obviously slanted by testers likes and dislikes. But if Gun
Tests boosts or pans a product, I will pay attention.

That is not to say any or all magazine tests are useless. But you must read the
test/review carefully for gratuitous comments touting "Brand X." Or Y,I, E, or
K in the case of Amateur equipment. Caveat emptor does apply to magazine tests
if you intend to buy something on the basis of a review.

Nor does the biases inherent in open posting reduce the value of the E-ham
product reviews. But they must be taken with caution. Those are not
instrumented tests - and many of them are by inexperienced operators who have
nothing to compare the product to. They hook it up, turn it on, and if it works
it's the greatest thing since hydraulic forks on a Harley.

Worse, a good part of the E-ham reviews are by people who expect miracles and
are outraged when they don't get them. Their shiny new SuperBlaster XX will not
work XU any time of the day or night, band open or closed, so they pan it, with
something like "It's no better than my Slug 33, and we all know how bad those
things are."

And of course, all open post equipment reviews, including E-ham, prominently
feature the bane of every owners report. The guy who does not own one, never
saw one, never operated one, but his neighbors second cousin twice removed knew
someone across town who had one and it never was right.

Without exception, EVERY equipment review must be taken with great skepticism.
Few are unbiased, none are without fault. But if you pay close enough attention
to the reviews you may be able to gather enough information to make an informed
buying decision. Just don't consider them infallable.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E