Re: [TenTec] K2/100, Orion review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K2/100, Orion review
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:26:30 +0000
What satisfies one man is no measure of what will satisfy all men.

If there are contesters who have a strong preference for PTT switching of their stations in CW operation, it seems rather a pity that Ten Tec don't provide that facility for them.

I am a long time CW contester, who as it happens doesn't use PTT, because my amps are QSK capable. Years ago when my amps were not QSK capable I used PTT all of the time and for the reasons those who would like it have stated.

Some of you guys should be less defensive of Ten Tec. Many of the critiscisms here are from customers who have already demonstrated enough belief in the company to dig deep to buy their products. E.g I have an Omni VI+ which I bought four years ago and also an Orion which arrived this week. The Orion without ATU and with PSU cost me almost $4500 delivered, tax and duty paid here in Cyprus. No small investment.

I plan to evaluate the Orion I have purchased over the next few months to determine whether the two FT1000MPs I have in my SO2R contest set-up, would be better replaced by a pair of Orions. If I am convinced, I will of course need to buy a second Orion. If not, I will probably keep the one I have as it has many features that I like.

My take on the Orion so far, is that it is a very fine product which has one or two obvious quirks. (Don't all rigs?) I am interested in discussing my thoughts and the experiences I have had with the Orion with others of like interest. My motive is to get the best out of the product and perhaps contribute to its improvement. The Orion is not perect.

One other thing......my comments and critiscisms of the product are made because I happen to believe the Orion may potentially be the best contest radio available. That is why I have spent $4500 to acquire one. I wouldn't waste words on the majority of radios in the market because not even a miracle could make them what I want for my station.

What I don't understand is why some of you folks react to reasonable observation and critiscism as if we've just told you your baby is ugly!

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F

Jim Reid wrote:

Hmmm, strange then that Scott, W4PA was able to WIN

one of the categories of the just past CQ WW CW contest;
and he used TWO Orions. <<

I won South American WPX record as P40A on 80m with single Icom IC730, does that mean we do not need better radios? Hmmm?

No, what I reported means that the Orion, as is now,
present rig status, was NOT a huge obstacle to recent, success. Were these issues REALLY big
deals, and impediments, these fellows would not
have done as well as they did.

That is my only point as you raised the issue seemingly
implying that contesters could not possible do well on CW
with the Orion in its' present state.

73, Jim KH7M