Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 and PSK 31 Digimode

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI 5 and PSK 31 Digimode
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:50:16 -0500
Hello Volker,

I think your going to have some problems with the way you have your sound
card going direct to the Omni V. The audio output amplitude of normal PC
sound cards, even with the volume of the sound card turned all the way down,
is still too high to drive the radio. You probably will need a simple 10:1
resistor attenuator to drop the audio drive voltage from the sound card to
the Omni V, down to an acceptable level.

Second problem:  You run PSK31 in either LSB or USB, typically LSB on 40 and
80m and USB on 20m and higher bands. You do not  run it in the FSK mode.

Third problem: It is best to use PTT on the Omni V to key the radio. You CAN
set it up to use VOX, but it's quite difficult to keep everything adjusted
correct. If you get reports from others that your IMD is too low, that means
you are over-driving the Omni V audio input stages and instead of your PSK
signal being only 30Hz wide, it can easily be 1 or 2 kc wide...if that
happens a lot of folks will complain about your signal.

If you look at the documentation for your PSK31 software, it probably shows
some very simple one-transistor circuit you would need to build to key the
PTT line on the Omni V.

Hope this helps Volker.

73,

Tom - W4BQF