Re: [TenTec] New radio fever

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New radio fever
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:10:08 +0000
Well, consistant with is not proof of anything. Close - but consistant with
does not win the cigar. Pay the man another two bits and take another shot.

And "Table 3 is discouraging" followed by "When the IC7800 is run without ALC
the keying is excellent, but amateurs probably do not use it like this and with
the ALC enabled the keying is not good" is far from any indication that key
clicks are on their way out. MAYBE there will be a firmware upgrade to help or
cure the keying problem - but at the moment that misses the mark so far that
there's no use taking another shot.

The simple fact is that we shall have to wait until we can see an unbiased test
of the IC-7800 under circumstances identical to the test of other high end
trancievers to have any real idea of the relative value of the unit.

In the meantime I still park the Orion at 14.015 and track down the key clicks
and phase noise I hear. I work a lot of nice DX by letting the FT and IC bunch
play bird dog for me - and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on