Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion
From: "Steve Ellington" <N4LQ@igLou.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 16:02:52 -0000
Well I've been using the scope to check band activity. I can estimate the
frequency of the blip and usually find him when I tune. The Pro2 lets you
freeze the display and tune a marker to the exact spot.
Yesterday I was almost finished with a qso and everything went nuts. I had
to "reboot" and I was not in the split mode either. This morning I lost
receive audio a couple of times but it suddenly returned. I went ahead an
did a full reset just to flush out any bugs.
Here's one for you. Maybe you can help.
I use an 80m horizontal loop fed with coax and a 4:1 balun. Great antenna
and low swr on most bands. However it seems to love picking up AM radio
stations and putting them in unwanted places.
For example: If I use my old Triton IV on 40m at night, I get multiple
birdies and cross-mod from BC stations. I bought a little AM BC trap for it
and installed it at the rx input and most of that is now cured.
The OMNI V, TS930 and IC756proII do not have this problem. Simple rigs like
the T-kit 40m can't hack it though and they are totally swamped by these BC
stations.
Now here's whats weird....The Orion had AM trash all over the place. It was
almost unusable on 80m and even heard a lot of it on 40m. Of course if I run
the antenna through the tuner it clears it up but what a cumbersome way to
fix it! Thinking back a few years...I remembered the external ground seemed
to affect things so I simply unhooked the ground wire from the outside gnd
rod and preston, the Orion was normal. No more AM stations!
I'm sure someone will mention the diode effect of some solder joint etc. but
I've had this problem at 2 different locations, 3 different shacks, 4
different horizontal loops and several ground systems.
So what's the deal with loops and grounds and cerain rigs? Wouldn't you
think the Orion would be less likely to act up? Doesn't it have a tuned
front end?
Groundless in Louisville:
Steve
N4LQ