Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 14:19:22 -0400
Wow, that's  not  good news. I plan on putting up a big horizontal loop soon
and never considered broad band pick. However where I live now the closest
radio station of any kind is probably more than 8-10 miles away.

When I moved here last year, I did put down three 8' copper rod in a 16'
triangle just outside where my radios are located and interconnected them
and the house utility service with a #2 copper wire, which I also bring into
the house and connect to a copper buss bar across the back of the desk. All
of my ham gear is grounded via heavy copper straps to the buss bar. Since I
do use open wire feeders, all antennas are fed to my old Johnson KW Match
box tuner, which does provide pretty good filtering. But even when I was
living in Vienna, where I was located in an RF swamp, so to speak,  I only
encountered RFI problem on one occasion when an 80m wire end was directly
over the roof of my house, which really caused strange problems when I fired
up an amp.

But the fact that you've had the problem in different locations and with
different loops, really rules out the most common of problems, like you say.
I really have no clue what might cause that. However I would dig up the
house utility ground point and check that connection out visually. When I
dug up mine, I found the ground clamp had croded in half and the ground wire
was a half an inch away from the ground rod, and this house is only five
years old.

Tom - W4BQF