Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cooling the Orion
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 12:53:04 -1000

The nearest radio station is
about 15 miles away, WHAS 50kw at 840khz. I can put a diode across a pair of
32 ohm headphones and touch one lead to any ground in the house and hear
several stations.

Nothing more
than a diode across a meter with a telescopic antenna. I can touch it's
antenna on any part of the rig, ground, coax shield, antenna switch etc.
with everything turned off and get a half scale reading!

That seems like a lot of RF for even a 50 kW station 15 miles away. I wonder if there is another station of some sort even closer that you haven't identified.
Also hearing several stations makes me wonder, what is the second nearest station? Is there more than one TX diplexed onto WHAS's tower?

When I was using a full quarter wave tower for 160, and had three 1 kW MWBC stations within three miles (two on the same tower) a couple of series resonant traps tuned to the strongest BC stations and shunting my antenna, solved a lot of problems. I used 1 kW sized components for a while, and then later put it in a receive only part of my RF switching and used tiny parts.

DE N6KB