Re: [TenTec] Heil ProSet adapter with Orion -- hum

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Heil ProSet adapter with Orion -- hum
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:42:06 -0500
Thanks, Warren - that's useful information.  One question - you attached
the shield of your adapter to the connector shell, and that leaves you 2
wires for the microphone.  Did you not include the footswitch connection
to the PTT?  And, if you did, what did you use as the 'return' for the
PTT switch, pin 2 'gnd?'

        73,  Duane

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:51:22 -0400 "Warren J. Walsh" <warrenw@pentek.com>
writes:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:50:18 +0000, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:
>
>  >If the Orion uses balanced input, then why do they label pins 1
> and 2 as
> Mic (1) and gnd (2)? And the PTT switch uses >PTT (3) and gnd (2).
> It
> appears to be an unbalanced input, and handling of the "gnd"
> connection is
> what we've been >discussing. I'm saying all of this without having
> looked
> at the schematics, just the pinout of the mic connector in >the
> manual and
> the accompanying diagrams. 73, Duane
>

> I am looking at the schematics, I unzipped the schematics using the
> zip
> file directory structure. Looking in directory A08 at schematic file
>
> 81913.pdf I see that the Orion is an UNBALANCED microphone input.
> Pin 1
> goes to a coax connector using RG174 to pass the input to an Analog
> Devices
> SSM2166 part which is a preamp with variable compression and noise
> gating.  It is AC coupled to the devices POSITIVE input pin. This
> part is
> located on schematic file 81971_9.pdf located in the A07 directory.
> Pin 2
> is SIGNAL GROUND, NOT Chassis ground.  Pin 3 is PTT and Pin 4 is
> 8VDC.  Pin
> 1 is decoupled to SIGNAL GROUND with a .01uF cap and Pin 3 is also
> decoupled to SIGNAL GROUND with a .01uF cap.   I built my own Heil
> adapters
> using cable with 2 wires and a shield, I attached the shield to the
> 4 pin
> connectors SHELL.  I used the Orion in the June VHF contest as the
> 28MHz IF
> for our 6M station, we ran 1000W on 6M, and had NO RF in the audio
> problems
> at all.
>
> 73
> Warren Walsh - K2BM
>

> Pentek - Your source for DSP and Digital Receiver Boards.
> Warren J. Walsh (warrenw@pentek.com) Pentek, Inc.
> Design Engineer                      One Park Way
> Phone: (201) 818-5900 x 251          Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
> Fax:   (201) 818-5941                http://www.pentek.com/

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas