Re: [TenTec] ORION and IC7800 - Kirby - GUI's

To: tentec@contesting.com, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION and IC7800 - Kirby - GUI's
From: Charles Greene <W1CG@QSL.NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:18:05 -0400
Hi All,

I agree that there needs to be some rethought on the interface on rig control software. One needs to think "Communicating" as instead of rig control as an objective. What do you need to get the job done? This implies integration with logging and propagation programs. An objective may be "work DX" or "Get the Remaining States for WAS" or "Get the Highest Contest Score" as the primary objective, and "Mode," and other functions as secondary objectives The program then sets up the complete station including antennas, band filters, rigs and selects or scans bands/frequencies for those objectives. Other secondary objectives may be "Reduce Interference," and various transceiver filters are set up. The operator makes choices between options presented. Of course, the operator has the ability to over ride and make selections himself. To do otherwise is to produce what I call an "idiot" rig where, for example, if you select SSB the sideband and filters are automatically selected for you and you have no ability to use the opposite sideband or narrow filters for digital modes which also use sideband and a sound card. We don't need to duplicate those thoughts in a rig control program.

I have used several rig control programs and most duplicate transceiver controls, sometimes simplifying operation of complex operations. However, sometimes it is easier to use the rig controls instead of the mouse. I have also used several logging programs that also use rig control, notably Writelog and the similar free N1MM Logger, which do a great job on logging for contesting and the control some of the rig functions needed to assist the operator do that. They do not do complete rig control, and the use of a rig control program with such programs sometimes sub-optimizes the use of one or the other or both. I have also used most of the digital mode programs that also perform logging, most notably MixW which does a fine job on the digital modes and good job logging including contesting, but which lacks the feel of a professional contest logging program.

Another thing is you need to consider the state of the art of transceivers and the ability to control functions. I have two K2s and sometimes operate SO2R with them, and an Omni VI. You can not control all functions on these two rigs. New top of the line rigs like the Orion or IC-7800 are more amenable to complete "Objective" control.

One thing I would like to see in a rig control program is a band and simultaneous controllable narrow sub spectrum displays and the ability to select frequencies/stations by the click of a mouse. This would help operator control, and make a display do more than just provide information. I you run two transceivers, have two sets of displays. One thing I have done is to run two simultaneous copies of MixW, controlling two K2s on different bands, and transmit/receive digital signals on one or the other, shifting rigs by the click of a mouse and typing in the window that is selected. The non transmitting rig copies the selected station while transmitting on the other. Typical SO2R operation.

Just some thoughts I have this morning.

73s

Chas, W1CG