Re: [TenTec] 100 w. mobile rig

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 100 w. mobile rig
From: "Ben K8DIT" <benk8dit@callatg.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:12:58 -0700
> If you run more than 100 watts in a mobile you are asking for serious
> troubles with the vehicle onboard computers, electronics in fuel pumps,
etc.
> in today's cars.

Not true. One of the biggest urban myths around. If you run more than 100W
on HF in your car, call or write the appropriate authority who knows what's
what with you individual make car. Most modern cars have been designed to
expect tough consumer use and will do so uncomplainingly if you follow
accepted techniques.

I use a Ten Tec Scout w/ a Metron amp on HF and have never had any problem
in my '98 Toyota Corrolla. I use Hamstick whips mounted on the roof of the
car. I cannot tell you how many hams threw the above line at me with
knowledgable conviction before I looked into it, tried it and had no
problems. I get 500 W out on 10-40meters and have alot of fun with it.