Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ Performance (long)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ Performance (long)
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:31:38 -0000

and Barry N1EU wrote:

>suspect unless you can monitor it directly.  It would
>be nice to rule that out as a potential source of the
>problem by using an external keying device

Writelog generated the CW using a W5XD Multi-keyer which I rely on for SO2R
control and generation of clean stutter free code.  The Multi-keyer accepts
asynchronous high speed ascii from a com port and generates the cw external
to the computer.  I'm sorry but I should have mentioned that in my write up.
I am convinced that the code produced and used to key Orion is reliable.

I think Sinisa's comment concerning rig temperature probably explains the
experience I had when I first performed testing this morning:

>and found that quality of transmitted CW greatly
>varied with code speed, time between characters/words and
>especially with rig temperature.

Bob, 5B4AGN