Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ tests - schematics

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ tests - schematics
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:23:44 -0400
I have the Orion schematics, but many important functions are hidden away inside the CPU -- Xilinx & Sharc code, etc. That's very "black" because they don't publish the firmware source. I wish they would do that! Or maybe someone braver than I could reverse engineer the firmware...

The hardware schematics are probably all there, but they are not presented in a way that helps you understand how things work (many small sheets with signals that jump off to who-knows-where). The contrast with my classic Kenwood is profound. The whole rig was all there on one big schematic, which mere mortals could begin to decode. To be fair, it is harder when your chips have hundreds of pins.

Martin, AA6E

Tommy wrote:

The Ten Tec schematics for the Orion are downloadable from the rfsquared web
site. You may need a magnifying glass to read them, but they are available
to everyone.

Tom - W4BQF