Re: [TenTec] 253 interface 4-6.5mHz?

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 253 interface 4-6.5mHz?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:38:45 -0500
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:11:16 -0400, M. P. Haynes wrote:

>Interesting thread here.  Isn't there a power limitation of 50 watts on
>the sixty meter channels?  If so, why worry about interfacing a Herc for
>that band?  You wouldn't be planning anything illegal, would you?  HI HI!

The Ten Tec amps are designed so that you can loop your transceiver
through them to get to the antenna. If you have the amp in the standby mode, it
isn't active, but the power supply is on and all it takes to get it to work is
push the "Operate" switch. This saves having to re-patch your station every
time you want to use your amplifier.

All of my friends that have Ten Tec amps have them wired this way, and some
have the transceiver set to run at a very low power so that the power amp is
putting out 100-200 watts, then turning up the power when they need it. This is
in complete conformance with FCC rules for the Amateur Service, which
require that we always use the minimum power required for the desired
communications.

Jim Brown  K9YC