Re: [TenTec] Disolving pto grease

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Disolving pto grease
From: Tim Long <tlong2@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:42:15 -0400
We're starting to see suggestions of some creative solvents and greases. When I rebuilt mine, I saw traces of the familiar green Copper Sulphate in the old grease. The source of copper is obviously the brass. The source of sulphur was probably the cutting fluid that was used when the brass was machined. Be careful you don't use anything containing trace amounts of sulphur, either in the solvent or the grease. Good luck. The factory gets $25 for rebuilding a PTO. They told me that it was roughly the same complexity as rebuilding a 2 barrel carbeurator. If we knew the type of plastics used, we could easily specify a solvent that would be safe. Tim, W2UI

Steve N4LQ wrote:

I've been using WD40 to dissolve old PTO grease but am looking for something better. WD is slow and requires a lot of manual cleaning to completely remove all the goo. Keep in mind that some of the parts are plastic so I don't want anything that would soften it. Any recommendations?

Steve N4LQ