Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Transceiver

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Transceiver
From: "ki3b@juno.com" <ki3b@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:59:15 GMT
I'd like to echo some of the comments made already. I'd also look for an Omni
VI Option 3. I have both the Jupiter and the Omni VI Option 3 and use the Omni
for CW. It does a better job (for me) on CW. The big choice here is if you
absolutely want a new rig, the computer control capability, and the SWL option
or not.

The 746 Pro has gone up a lot in price since the first of the year, and I don't
know if they're still giving away the power supply or not. Even though the 746
Pro does give you some VHF capability and it has the RTTY reader in it along
with a lot of other 'gee whiz' features, IMHO I still would go for the Omni VI
Option 3 or the Jupiter if you want a new rig. I just don't like how noisy the
746 Pro (and all the Icom rigs) are.

Plus with Ten Tec's warranty and service record, I still have to say you can't
beat buying a Ten Tec. I've had my 540 repaired and other TT rigs that I had
worked on and they were always able to fix the rig for me. Try to get service
on a TS-830S or a FT-102 series of rig (from the same vintage as the 540) and
you're usually told they can't get the parts.

FWIW.

73,

Joe KI3B