Re: [TenTec] Keyers?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keyers?
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 09:38:52 -1000

Gary wrote:

>>For years I used an old Heathkit keyer but switched over to the keyer
>>in the Orion last fall. Now the 850 keyer is a struggle to get right.

Hi Steve and all,

I think what Gary is observing is that every keyer seems to be a bit
different, and once you get used to one, having used it for a long
while, it is difficult to switch to another keyer. I think Gary realizes
that just about any keyer can be hooked up to the Orion or the TS-850
and be made to work. The problem is not whether the keyer "works" but
rather whether the operator can "work the keyer" proficiently. Once you
get used to one keyer it can be hard to switch to another.

I have noticed difficulty switching between the Omni VI internal keyer
and the Logikey K-3. I have them both set to mode B, but they do not
work exactly identically. There seems to be some differences in the
timing of the "window of opportunity" for adding trailing dits or
inserting dits. The difference in operation is very difficult to
analyze, because as soon as you start focusing on it, the problem seems
to either go away or change. This is probably due to minor changes in
timing of the operator's actuation of the paddles.

Does anyone know if there is an "official" definition of exactly what
mode A and mode B iambic keying are? Are there any specific parameters
stated by any keyer manufacturer as to the timing of the paddle inputs
versus the keyer outputs? I have never seen any such specifications, and
I suspect that minor differences between brands is what gives some
people trouble switching from one keyer to another. I find it
interesting that it seems the transition from one model to another can
seem smooth and not even noticable to the operator, and then after
becoming accustomed to the second keyer, switching back to the first one
can be very difficult. What is it that makes it easy to adjust in one
direction and difficult in the other?

To answer your question Gary: I like the Idiom Press Logikeyer K-3 best.

73 DE N6KB